Resources will be added as blogs are published. If you know of a useful resource that’s not listed here, please email me the details so I can add it. All resources are based on living in Vancouver and/or British Columbia, Canada.
- If you’ve recently lost your job or are out of work and not eligible for employment insurance, you can apply for Income Assistance in BC.
- If you’re a single parent making less than $35,000/year and NOT on income assistance, you might be eligible for Rental Assistance.
- Want to take a class to improve your skill set or have kids who love to swim or skate? The Leisure Access Pass is available to low-income families and allows access to public services for you and your kids. It also includes discounts to local area attractions.
- Quest Food Exchange – Get a referral from your case worker to access low-cost, healthy food.
- Vancouver Foodbank – If you’re willing to stand in line, going to a Vancouver Foodbank location might be a good choice for you. Call to get depot locations in your area.
- Partners In Hope – A Christian non-profit offering a variety of resources including a housing database, low-cost dentist, one-on-one support and more.
- Britannia Bulk Buy – Get 2 large bags of seasonal fruits and vegetables for $13/month.
- The Salvation Army – There are many locations throughout BC. The one I went to is located at Fraser/East 16th Avenue. You can drop by and pick up bread (if they have it) or make an appointment for an emergency food basket.
- Bankruptcy Canada – Find out what your options are and find a trustee near you.
- Credit Counselling – Type ‘credit counselling’ into any search engine and several companies come up. Choose one that suits your needs. You shouldn’t have to pay for counselling.
- Financial Literacy – Many different organizations offer free courses in financial literacy. Learn about banking, budgeting, consumerism and credit. The Practical Money Skills site is a great resource and includes games, calculators, articles and more. Family Services of Greater Vancouver offers free Money Skills courses throughout the Lower Mainland.